Description of the Chair
The rise of digital technologies, big data and artificial intelligence is impacting nearly every sphere of employment activity
In this context of digital transformation accelerated by the COVID-19 pandemic, workplaces and the way we work, collaborate, and train or self-train are being reinvented. Most organizations are realizing that their success depends on a digital workplace with a lifelong learning culture that helps their employees adapt and evolve with agility and speed in the face of these changes. Investing in people and their continuous learning has become a priority.
How do we design training, reskilling, upskilling of today’s and tomorrow’s workforce for a changing labor market within the 4th industrial revolution and post-COVID era, where human-machine collaboration for augmented intelligence is encouraged, even expected?
This question is at the heart of the work of the Chair in Educational Leadership on Innovative Pedagogical Practices in Digital Contexts – National Bank.
In a systemic approach, the CEL in Innovative Pedagogical Practices in Digital Contexts – National Bank aims to contribute to updating Université Laval’s courses in the Educational Technology programs.
Training future and current educational technology experts to collaborate with transformative technologies to design learning, training, upskilling, and reskilling experiences for clients and learners in urgent need of being equipped for a shifting future of work in the digital and AI era is central to the work of the Chair.
The role of future educational technology experts is to help the existing and future workforce integrate into tomorrow’s workplace and to address resistance to change among many, ranging from governance to the individual, in order to remedy it. Their clients are experiencing the digital transformation and expect, among other things, a diversity of pathways, mobile, responsive, personalized and inclusive learning, learning in the flow of work, based on gamification, serious gaming, learning communities on social media, simulation, augmented, virtual, or extended reality, while maintaining instances of formal and traditional training.
In fact, the approaches and methods adopted by experts in educational technology are undergoing a drastic change to include, among others, the exploration of learning analytics.
The challenge of the Chair’s work is to anchor training in the reality of learning in the digital age and artificial intelligence era, by promoting a critical, responsible, ethical, equitable and sustainable approach to digital education and training in the workplace, in a multidisciplinary, interdisciplinary and intersectoral approach.
Design inclusive and equitable learning experiences that will equip future educational technology experts to thrive in a digital and AI era and meet the training needs of the future of work
Develop a training and lifelong learning opportunity covering two themes: “Innovative Pedagogical Practices in Digital Contexts” and “The Upskilling and Reskilling of Humans at the Heart of the Digital Transformation.” This offer will target experts in educational technology already in the field and in their mid-career in various contexts, and educators, school principals and stakeholders in other educational settings and equip them to design instructional and non-instructional interventions that answer the needs of context-specific clients and learners in a digital and AI era
Contribute to the knowledge related to pedagogical approaches as well as issues, challenges and potential solutions concerning the critical, ethical, responsible, equitable and sustainable use of digital and artificial intelligence for equitable training that meets the needs of the workforce in the 4th industrial revolution and living together in the digital age (collaboration between humans, and between humans and machines)
Impact of the Chair’s Work
For the Society
- Contribute to the advancement of knowledge in the field of educational technology, which will have an impact on the training of the current and future workforce in the digital and artificial intelligence era;
- Equip the experts in educational technology to diversify digital training approaches and methods to support the integration and the inclusion of the current and future workforce in digital workplaces;
- Help fill gaps in the scientific literature regarding the training of instructional designers who are required to answer the training needs of a multi-generational, multidisciplinary, multisectoral and global workforce ;
- Determine and target training solutions for upskilling, reskilling, outskilling and lifelong learning that include responsive, adaptive and personalized or tailored mobile learning, self-service or on-demand learning, micro-learning, mentoring and experiential learning.
For the Academic Community
- Enrich the training of educational technologists, instructional designers, learning experience designers and performance consultants by promoting the critical and responsible integration of digital technology in pedagogical approaches
- Support pedagogical innovation among students through excellence scholarships;
- Increase the recruitment of promising and committed students;
- Examine the application of serious games, social media, virtual, augmented and cross-reality in training and development;
- Create situations conducive to experiential learning, including the ethical and responsible use of artificial intelligence;
- Promote the Chair through interdisciplinary collaboration;
- Promote the sharing of expertise with partner institutions;
- Adapt course offerings (physical, co-modal, hybrid, distance learning) to meet the needs of professionals in educational technology and training.
For the National Bank
- Promote and support university research and teaching in the integration of digital technology in training;
- Valorise the field of educational technology;
- Increase the offers for continuing education;
- Facilitate access to university studies and professional development;
- Create a centre of excellence for educational technology, instructional and experience learning design training in Quebec;
- Support innovation in pedagogical practices in digital contexts;
- Support innovation in training and development, upskilling and reskilling for an effective digital transformation;
- Support the development of the skills of experts in educational technology and those involved in educational transformation so that they are able to design training and development, upskilling and reskilling experiences for clients and learners who urgently need to be equipped for a future of work in the digital and AI era.
For more information about the Chair in Educational Leadership program, consult this document (in French).